NFC Module – NFC Reader µFR Nano
uFR Nano is the latest model in Digital Logic’s uFR Series of NFC RFID readers writers.
It is NFC Forum & RFID compatible contactless NFC RFID reader writer which successfully implements ISO14443 A & B and ISO18092 standards on HF working frequency of 13.56 MHz.
This RFID device is genuine Digital Logic product, 100% designed, produced and programmed at company premises located in Serbia, Europe.
uFR Nano reader is CE and RoHS certified device (CE declaration of conformity).
All models of uFR Series are using the same API and are totally compatible and inter-operable in common set of functions.
This RFID device is primarily intended for developing companies and individuals (professionals and hobbyist) for further application and turnkey solutions development. For that reason it comes with fully featured Software development kit package, which includes firmware, libraries, examples and documentation for various platforms, operating systems and developing environments. Regular upgrades (including firmware, libraries and API) are launched often and can be obtained by company’s website for FREE. All products has extended „Three year” warranty.
All mentioned facts combined with free extensive and fast responsive support give this product an outstanding position in this industry sector.
RFID READER HARDWARE
This NFC RFID reader’s RF communication is based on NXP’s powerful, highly integrated reader IC for contactless communication at 13.56 MHz, which supports all protocol layers of the ISO/IEC 14443 A, ISO/IEC 14443 B and ISO/IEC 18092 communication standards.
It utilizes an outstanding modulation and demodulation concept completely integrated for different kinds of contactless communication methods and protocols at 13.56 MHz.
All variants of the MIFARE® family (MIFARE Mini®, MIFARE Classic® 1K, MIFARE Classic® 4K, MIFARE Ultralight®, MIFARE Ultralight C®, MIFARE DESFire® EV1 and MIFARE Plus®) RF identification protocols are supported. Additionally, NFC Forum specification for „Type 2 Tag” is supported, which adds NTAG2xx chip family to above list.
This RFID NFC Reader has possibility to support all NFC Forum Tag Types, but currently implemented is Type 2. Since DESFire can be used as NFC Tag type 4, it will be added soon as capability in firmware. Additional features like other Tag types (1 and 3) and Pear 2 Pear functionality are on R&D roadmap.
Bottom line is that reader’s hardware is fully compliant with NFC Forum specification, while software compatibility is constantly improved and extended with each new SDK update.
NFC RFIDreader has built-in anti-collision mechanism for detecting multiple cards at time.
Built-in well-tuned antenna provides proximity operating distance up to 80 mm (depending on card’s antenna geometry) and contactless communication speed at higher baud rates (up to 424 kBd).
Device also has built in Crypto1® algorithm and non-volatile internal key memory storage for better security.
Reader can also act as a serial interface device using FTDI’s Virtual COM port (VCP) drivers.
Audible (speaker) and 2 LEDs visible indicators are built in and absolutely user controllable.
THIS RFID MODEL IS ALSO AVAILABLE AS OEM NFC Module.
OEM board comes in two versions: with standard micro-USB connector or with RS232 pins on TTL levels, with additional cable device for true RS232 voltage levels.
Since hardware is based on MCU platform, it runs on company developed custom firmware. Communication between host and reader is provided through high speed direct access FTDI chip features.
At core communication level device uses company developed, proprietary communication protocol, which is well documented in API reference.
Firmware has a lot of built-in complex functions which can be called via libraries provided in API. Most of functions are written to make „life easier”, like:
- Multiple NFC RFID readers on same host support
- Whole set of commands for MIFARE Classic® manipulation according to manufacturer’s specification
- Different addressing schemes (Block, BlockInSector)
- Key storage manipulation (one way, write only, no reading of stored keys)
- Different key applying modes (by index or scheme)
- Value block manipulation
- Treating whole memory structure as linear space (very convenient for MIFARE Classic®)
- NFC tags manipulation, NDEF format parsing in firmware
- AES128 “on fly” hardware encryption built-in, which is the most important when working with complex DESFire security keys
- AES128 encryption of files and keys in DESFire cards
- MIFARE Plus support
- MIFARE Ultralight C support
- APDU command structure support where applicable (ISO14443-4 layer)
- Asynchronous sending of UID from reader to host COM port when card is present; feature is user programmable and many more…
Main point about firmware is that all firmware functions can be called via communication protocol, too.
That fact moves usage of this device into other dimension, meaning that this reader can be used on almost any platform which has serial interface, by simply using communication protocol. So it can be freely used on PC, tablet, smart phone, embedded systems, Raspberry Pi, Beagle Board, MIPS boards, PLCs, Arduino and other platforms.
When using OEM RS232 board, device can be connected on any platform which has “real” serial interface, which is seen as a great benefit. Firmware is regularly updated with new versions which include new features, improvements and bug-fixes, while preserving backward compatibility with older versions.
That means your code is safe, there is no need for changes when new firmware comes out. All firmware upgrades are totally FREE and can be obtained through download section of company’s website.
Development kit package
This NFC RFID reader comes with fully featured Software development kit which consist of external libraries, examples with source codes, documentation about API reference and communication protocol and some useful software tools.
Libraries are cross-compiled for various platforms and regularly supported are Windows x86/x64 and UWP, Linux x86/x64, Mac OSX x64, ARM/ARM HF and Arduino. Other platforms can be supported as custom release, on customers demand, depending on existence of project or partnership relation.
Examples are divided in three stages according to complexity, with some new additions of NFC examples.
All examples are written for all major developing platforms and languages, like:
- Java (and Java Applet example),
- Borland Delphi,
- C++ Borland Builder,
- Microsoft® Visual .NET family: C++, C#, VB
- Arduino IDE examples
Other programming languages examples can be obtained on customer demand, depending on existence of project or partnership relation.
Package includes set of very useful applications intended for everyday use, like:
- Application for programming and manipulation of NFC compliant like NTAG and MIFARE Ultralight®, with source code included.
- Android NFC phone App – Android NFC phone Application for MIFARE® reading. Write a card with uFR, read it with NFC phone!
- Formatter – application for card/tag formatting and programming
- uFR2FileSystem – keyboard simulation, data reading, data parsing into several formats and sending data to MySQL database via HTTP.
- Application for NTAG and MIFARE Ultralight® programming and manipulation.
- Application for creating and writing common NDEF messages into NFC tags
- Reader Keys application – for easy manipulation of keys stored in reader
- Application for managing of DESFire card
- Examples of credit card use with reading of public data
- Shell like environment for easy testing and automation
- Web extensions for Chrome, Firefox and Opera
Documentation contains fully explained API reference and communication protocol reference with real “hands-on” byte level examples for implementing communication protocol. However, API is much more comfortable and recommended way of implementation. Where not possible, implementation of communication protocol is very good alternative.
All libraries, examples, tools and documents are regularly updated. They are totally FREE and can be obtained through download section of company’s website.
Our support team always provides quick response, usually not more than 24 hours, which also depends of complexity and question itself.
We can also provide custom solutions based on each customer’s needs, so please free to contact us for any question or further help regarding your projects and implementation.
- Electronic payment systems
- Identification systems
- Access control systems
- Subscriber services
- Banking systems
- Digital content systems
- Customer loyalty
- Vending machines
- Time & attendance
- Machine work attendance
- NFC card and tags programming
- NFC NDEF record management
- Network access control
- Inventory management
- Software login management
- Automatic fare collection
- Public transportation terminals
- Cashless payment
- Parking lot systems
- Reception desks
- Visitor attendance
- Authentication and authorization
- Libraries, museums, stadium events
- Identity verification, data exchange & contactless transaction
- Useful for binding device to software license
- Supporting multiple OS (Win, Linux, Android)
- USB compliant interface
- Operating Frequency: 13.56MHz
- Proximity read/write speed up to 424 kbps
- Built-in antenna for contactless tag access, with reading distance of up to 80 mm
- Supports MIFARE® and other ISO 14443 Type A/B
- Supports ISO18092 NFC tags
- Built-in anti-collision feature
- RFID Reader locking by passwords and keys
- Application Programming Interface:
- Virtual COM through FTDI
- User controllable LEDs
- Three year warranty
- Operating frequency
- NFC RFID NDEF record writing like MIME types, URI types, vCard, SMS, Phone, URL
- Linear card space emulation
- Direct block access
- Indirect sector and block access
- Keys and access bits management
- Block values management (increment/decrement)
- Asynchronously sending UID to COM port (feature programmable)
- DES and 3DES encryption
- Optional APDU structure with examples of credit card use by reading public data
- Shell like environment for easy testing and automation
- Web extensions for Chrome, Firefox and Opera
- Digital Signing examples : signing digital document with PKI certificates in contactless way